Friday, August 22, 2008

Same patients....different location

So today was my first day on the floor with my assignment...alone! A little scary at first, but I quickly realized....these are the same frickin patients that I was taking care of in Portland...just a different location. Today I had a the confused man near the desk (you nurses/MDs know what that means)....TROUBLE! Every five seconds....."BEV" he would shout. My shift started at 0730 and by about 0735 I wanted to tell him my name had changed....I wasn't Bev I was.....Rachel. But I thought that might not settle well as I am the newbie here. It is really interesting being on this side of nursing. Always trying to prove yourself as the new traveler. Everyone watching you, thinking that you don't know what your are doing. Well, even with the busy patients today, I felt that I did well. Those of you who have worked with me, you know I have a hard time delegating and letting others especially the CNA's do their job. Well today was no different. I am sure I could have sat down a little more if I delegated better, but it was just easier to do it myself. And the little CNA that I worked with...and I mean little, she was about 4'11'', I wasn't sure about her...so I just did most of her job too. No biggie. But it made for a busy day. But by gollie it went fast. Thank God. I am working two 12 hour shifts and two 8 hour shifts. So today was an 8 hour shift, and I was very thankful. I think I would have slit my wrists...vertically...if I had to stay another hour. Now I am home and drinking my new favorite summer drink...a Lemon Blue Ball (thank you Brian)! It's always something to look forward to at the end of the day. I am going to BBQ tonight. I thought I was being so resourceful by buying a little gas BBQ from WalMart for only 16.00. Well, the joke was on me, there were about 200 pieces to put it together. The some assembly required translated out to be total assembly required. I think it took me an hour last night to put together. So I am going to use it every night by gollie. That's it for me. I am going to bed early tonight, so I can get up and do it all again tomorrow. The beauty of floating....is I don't have to have the same patients tomorrow!!! PTL! Hope all is well with all of you. I still miss everyone! Take care, have a good weekend.
-bev =)

No comments: