Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Breakin the LAW!

I have to apologize for the late entry here. I have had a rough couple of days. I still haven't gotten out and done much exploring yet, due to fund-age issues....which sucks. But I did get to go back to work yesterday after four days off. I actually was excited to return back to work for the mere fact that I missed conversation. I was a little lonely. So Tuesday couldn't come soon enough....or so I thought. As I got ready for my first of three shifts, I decided that I would sleep a little later and push my time line on getting to work. Everything was going well, I had even found a new way to get to "The Lot". Many of you read my previous entry that explained that as a day shift employee here at Santa Rosa Memorial we have to park at the Vet's Building and be bussed in to the hospital. The original way that I had been going was a little long, and I knew that there was an easier way to "The Lot". Long about the last light before "The Lot" I was feeling so triumphant in finding a new way to my daily destination that I got lost in my thoughts. As I sat at my red light, I saw the nice police car that was adjacent from me, I thought, "man good thing I didn't just run that yellow light....I would have gotten pulled over for sure." As my light turned green I slowly made a left turn right in front of the on coming police car. "OH CRAP!, I should have yielded to oncoming traffic....and it's a cop!" What luck. Only my luck. I continued with my left turn continually peering into my rear view mirror hoping and praying that the cop somehow didn't see me....RIGHT! The squad car made a sharp right turn and quickly was on my bumper. As I pull into "The Lot", I have this squad car on my ass. The lights didn't turn on until I was completely in "The Lot". When I saw the lights, I quickly pulled over...as much as you can in a parking lot...completely empty. I was for sure getting out of this one...I would win over the cop with my charm and "new to the city" innocence. As I look in my side mirror...I see to much dismay....a...FEMALE COP! I am doomed. I am for sure getting a ticket. As she approached my window...I tried a charming grin....didn't work. I said...."I know, I didn't yield," (more charming grin). Still didn't work. I knew then I was going to get a ticket....no matter what I said. She tried to question my thought process as to why I would turn left on a solid green light with on coming traffic approaching. I had no excuse, except for ....I just didn't think. Something my father taught me as a young child when I would say..."but, Dad, I thought..." He would quickly reply, "No, that's just it Bev....you didn't think." With Deano it might have gotten me out of trouble..but with the female cop...it was a no go. I was getting the ticket. As she returned to the my car with my information and ticket she went into a lecture as to how bad this traffic infraction could have been. I could have been broadsided. I said, "Yes I know, please don't talk to me like I'm an idiot. I know what could have happened. I simply wasn't thinking. And I am very thankful that you were there to not broadside me." She clearly wasn't pleased with my sass. She said, "I'm not trying to make you have a bad day...." "Not only are you making me have a bad day, but now I am late for work. Just tell me how much the ticket is and where I pay it." I interrupted. She said she didn't have a price and that I was going to have to appear in court on November 24th to get my ticket price. I informed her that I wasn't going to be here...that my contract was up on Nov. 18th. She said I could call a certain number and take care of it before I left. I thanked her as I grabbed my paperwork and ID back...and sped off....about 100 feet to the nearest parking spot...to catch the BUS! It was a great day of fielding comments and questions...."Was that you that got pulled over in the parking lot today." Yeah, what a great way for Bev to meet new friends.

Work is the same. I am getting to be quite the little IV starter. I might just have to come back full time IV therapy....NOT! My record is currently 2 for 3. Not to shabby for a beginner! Don't tell Teri Houck.

Oh one funny thing did happen today ...I had a patient discharging. Not funny in and of itself, I know, but everyone kept saying she is discharging to a friends house. I just smiled and acted like I knew what they were talking about. I asked a few discharge planners what friend is she staying with, to which I was ignored. Finally I spoke up and asked what is the name of the friend that my patient is discharging to. And the whole nurse's station laughed. "No, the skilled nursing facility is called "A Friend's House"... HA HA HA. Again we all had a good laugh at my expense. LOL. I love that where ever I go I have people either laughing at me or with me...always a good feeling.

I hope all is well with everyone. I would love to hear from you all. Again, thanks for reading.

-Bev =)

1 comment:

Brian said...

A Friends House is what I call the bar at Jake's!!