Sunday, September 7, 2008

I've found a posse!

I am sorry about the late entry again. But I just haven't really been doing anything exciting down here yet. Since Wednesday...I have been going back and forth with my agency regarding some glitches in the payment category. But, as of now, it's all resolved. It only resulted in a few late bills, and a little increased stress level on my part. No biggie. No harm no foul...right. I am sure I am not the first one to be a little late on a few bills.


Last week I did return to the twilight zone...aka, the Acute Rehab Unit (ARU). This time at the ARU was still a little strange, but not as bad as my previous experience. No nurses having heart attacks, or chewing me a new one for getting a patient out of bed. This time there were a whole 8 patients. In report the nurses were just beside themselves that they had eight patients! WOW. What ever were we going to do. I had a whole four patients! And still did all the vital signs on all the patients. They were just shocked that I could get all my work done and still have time to do eight sets of vital signs! Who are these people? I thought. I worked with another older nurse who shhhhushed me twice during my eight hour shift. I felt as though I was working night shift with Bev Parscale again. I hadn't been shhhhhushed in a really long time. LOL. But she felt that I was being too loud for the middle of the day. Whatever! I also got scolded for "working in her area". Apparently in the med room there was a counter and a med cart. Since her folder was on the med cart, that deemed it her work space. When I went over to the med cart to use some scissors....she quickly and sternly said, "now are you working over here or over on the counter?" I explained my time in front of the med cart would be brief, and she could have her precious space back. It's stuff like this that isn't told to you when you get orientated to a floor....who's side of the med room to stay away from, who is sensitive to loud talking, etc. I am getting the hang of the paper charting. It's a lot of double charting....vitals on the flow sheet, and in the graphics sheet, then post it in the med room also. The charting actually is much easier then computer charting. I can see why the nurses are really angry about going to computer charting. It's because they will actually have to chart more.....because this paper charting is so vague. And leaves a ton of room for interpretation...especially if something ever goes to court. It's a little scary.


Other than the ARU unit, I have been working most of my shifts on the cardiac unit 4W. I guess it would be like the 2G of Providence. I have really enjoyed the staff there. I fit in really nice. I worked there this whole last weekend, and actually liked working the weekend. LOL. I just wish the weekdays could be like the weekends there. I spent a lot of time on the Internet, e-mailing, or checking out things to do here in Sonoma County. But I did get invited to a BBQ this coming weekend, so that will be fun to hang out with everyone outside of work. One nurse Marcea, totally reminds me of my mom in some ways. Wait, she reminds me of Janice Wiant! Yeah. I have found Santa Rosa's Janice!!!! She is really down to earth and fun. And I think we are going to go wine tasting here soon. So that should be fun.


I finally have found my posse!


Monday I went on my first adventure. I headed out to Bodega Bay, CA. It is about 30 minutes from Santa Rosa....right on the beach. I printed off some maps from google and headed out with my book, chair, and blanket determined to find a beach to hang out on. It was a little overcast, but still warm enough to only need a light sweatshirt. As I drove around the bay I passed a little crab house called Spud Point Crab Company. I definitely had to stop on my way back. I made my way down the peninsula looking for the "Ocean Overlook" winding around what seemed to be deserted two way roads. There weren't many cars on the road. I thought I was the only one to find this place. But as I got to the end of the road I found I wasn't alone out there. There were many cars in the parking lot at the end of the two way road all with varying license plates. I parked and walked out to the edge of the cliffs. At the edge, there was a group of older women....maybe 50's, all horsing around on the cliffs. Pretending to shove each other off the edge. Although the view with second to none, these women were making me very nervous, so I didn't stay out there long. I headed back to the car and made my way back to Spud Point Crab Co.


Spud Point Crab Company was a tiny little house that boasted about having the best clam chowder in Bodega Bay three years running. It was located across the street from the Spud Point Marina. Very cool with all the fishing boats docked there and an occasional seal swimming in the water. You walked in the front door of this little house and there was just a counter, a few cold drink fridges, and Carol. Carol apparently was the one responsible for the best clam chowder in Bodega Bay. She was in the back slaving over what I could only assume was more chowder. The menu was small. Crab cakes, crab sandwiches, shrimp cocktail, and chowder. I couldn't decide. I wanted one of everything. I decided with the crab cakes (2 in an order), chowder and a soda....totaling 18.00! WOW! This had better be good. I made my way out to the picnic tables that were out front of the building and chose a seat. The other patrons were obviously all retirees, seeming that it was a Monday afternoon. I definitely was the youngest one there. After one bite of the crab cakes I realized partaking of the best crab cakes on earth!!! They melted in my mouth! I had to refrain from inhaling them in one bite. The clam chowder lived up to it's reputation. It was very good, but by the time I got to the chowder I was full. Bummer...I had left overs. Going to have to take it for lunch tomorrow! I bagged up the leftovers and headed back out.


I made my way up Hwy 1, which is a two lane hwy that winds right up the coast line. It was beautiful. I found myself going only 30 mph so I could take in all the sites. The other drivers were a little perturbed with me, but I didn't care. I was enjoying my drive. I stopped at Goat Rock. It is a public beach..really nice. They were taping some movie there, so I of course had to be nosey and watch them. But I was too chicken to ask what movie they were working on. By the looks of it, it was low budget, but fun nonetheless to watch. I walked out to the beach and set up my chair and blanket and started to read. There were a ton of seagulls around. I didn't think too much of it until one was getting really friendly. It was so tame. This bird was about a foot away from me and moving closer. He totally was wanting food. He was so close i thought he was going to nibble my toes. After about a 5 minute stare down, he gave up and flew away. I stayed on the beach for about an hour just reading and enjoying the view. I then headed back up Hwy 1 and cut over some hwy...I don't remember. But the drive back to Santa Rosa was similar to the drive from Lincoln City to Salem through the VanDouzer corridor. It was beautiful. Through redwoods, and small cities with a ton of bed and breakfasts. Many of the small towns seemed to have a underwear optional attitude, seeming that I saw many large breasted women...without bras on! LOL. My kind of place.

I can't tell you how many vineyards I passed on my way to and from the beach. This place is littered with wine! Again, my kind of place! I believe I have chosen well. I found some cooking classes in Sonoma that I am going to try out. Along with some wine/food pairing sessions at various vineyards in the area. I can't wait to take advantage of this area. I will keep everyone posted on my activities.

Thanks for reading thus far. I really do miss everyone! Take care.
-Bev =)

No comments: