Saturday, January 10, 2009

So here I am again....awake all night! I just enjoyed a great night with Stephanie...and Pam from Providence. I am crashing on Steph's couch...ok not crashing...but blogging. Thank goodness she got a laptop for Christmas...because even though it's 3am ..... I'm not tired. So i thought i'd blog. I don't have much more to blog about. But what else should I do when up at 3am on a friend's couch.

I had a good week at work. I did have some interesting patients this week. I took care of an interesting GIB (gastro-intestinal bleed) patient this week. He was very sick. His blood levels were very low. Which made it very risky to get out of bed. Of course he insisted on getting out of bed to the bathroom every time he had to go. It was about 2200 when his emergency light was going off. I knew something was up. As I entered his room I found him on the toilet...as white as a ghost. I quickly asked him if he was ok....he was pretty out of it. I got right in his face...like I do so well...and asked him again if he was ok. He looked at me and said...."I don't knwo how long I will be awake." Something you don't to hear from your patient in the bathroom. I quickly pulled the emergency light that i just had canceled....I got four nurses immediately. We quickly and easily got him back to the bed. Bolus ed him with some fluid...and applied some oxygen. He snapped out of it...and i needless to say transfused four units of blood within my shift. It was a good night!

Needless to say i am learning alot. In my previous blog, I mentioned that I was titrating drips left and right. I have been stretched...and challenged every shift. But I like it. I do enjoy what I am doing. I learn something new every night I work....which is a good thing. The only thing is that my body isn't used to the hours yet...needless to say since it's after 0300 in the AM!

I am enjoying all the people I work with. They are a great group of nurses. The only thing that sucks is that I don't know my doctors. I really got used to knowing all the docs. Here in Salem..i don't know who is who. I have to ask frequently...who is the cardiologist on this case....and I am slowly learning names. I really miss knowing who was who in the doctor world, it really makes a difference.

I am finally getting tired now...may be the wine I have been drinking.....who knows. But I will be sleeping now.

Hope all is well with you all. I miss everyone...and hope to see you all soon. Take care. Thanks for reading this...even though I don't keep up much anymore.

There will be more to come.

No comments: